Svein is well connected in the Norwegian defense sector after serving 21 years in the Norwegian Defense Forces. 10years as an Army Officer and 11 years in the Air Force. He ended his military career in 2007 at the MoD as a strategic long term planner.
As a former senior officer for CHOD’s Strategic Defence Review Svein knows the strategic planning process well. He has an in-depth knowledge of Norwegian defense and security politics and has been involved in several big procurement processes, both from his time at the MoD and as a consultant. Projects include new fighter aircrafts, new SAR-helicopters, artillery, radars, satellites and submarines.
Svein has served as section head at the Air Staff and he has been a member of the Air Force Command Group for 4 years. He also served as Section Head responsible for strategic communication (psyops) at NATO HQ in Afghanistan in 2005.
Before establishing Holtan + Partners, Svein was Strategy Director and Head of Defence and Security Practice Group at the international consultancy bureau Hill + Knowlton Strategies in Oslo, responsible for defense industry client lead across Europe.
• Born in 1967.
• Basic officers training at the Infantry.
• 4 years at the Air Force Academy with Security Politics emphasis.
• Graduated with honors and received the Inspector General’s special award for his achievements.
• Staff College and Senior Staff College.
• Studied media science at the University in Trondheim and strategy at the University of Chicago.
• NATO Secret security clearance, and retired from the Armed Services with the rank of Lt. Colonel.